"We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." 1 John 3:14-16
I read this scripture a couple of months ago and it really hit me hard. After being a reject and just plain awkward in junior high I decided that I didn't want friends and I didn't like people. Being anti-social was my security blanket, I didn't have to get out of my comfort zone and I definitely didn't care about what anyone else thought. This attitude carried on into adulthood and being part of "christian" subcultures that had no respect for others I felt no conviction about my bad attitude. It wasn't until I got married and had someone around 24/7 that my ugly selfish personality began to worsen. Basically until recently I thought everyone else was the problem but the more I read scripture the more I see that my wants just aren't important! Not that God doesn't care about me but that most times I'm just being a jerk.
It flat out isn't in me to put others first...I'm not a "sweet" person, I'm not selfless, and I haven't been doing my part by laying down my life for my brothers. It's funny but I always thought "laying down my life"meant some abstract distant spiritual sacrifice but God revealed to me that it's in the practical day to day life that we should lay down our lives for each other. Like helping a friend move even though you worked all week, or baby sitting so you can give a parent a break, or giving up your anti-social ways : )
This isn't an easy revelation for me but I don't want to be that jerk anymore! Well thats my thoughts for today...pray for me you all <3
Wonderful insight,Celina! It's so easy for all of us to look at "laying down our life" as all or nothing situation.At one time,I pictured this as being told to deny Jesus or I would be put to death-you know in Africa somewhere.I finally saw that if I thought I would be willing to die for Jesus,I should be willing to LIVE NOW for Him.Putting aside what I want,instead seeing the situations & people all around me,needing kindness,understanding,help w/everyday things,just as you shared.So simple,I missed it for a while. "He must increase,I must decrease." John 3:30 God bless you!
ReplyDeleteJeannine
Thx jeannine! Isn't it funny how God makes things so simple yet we tend to complicate it?
ReplyDelete