Skip to main content

What do bands like For Today stand for when it comes to women?

Saw an interesting quote from For Today's singer

"Some men act like boys; they are irresponsible and apathetic. Some men act like women; they are emotionally driven crowd followers."

...I find it divisive and inconsiderate to tear down someone based on gender just to get a point across...especially because Mattie's goal was to admonish godly men to step up. One thing that jumps out to me is that a boy will grow up and become a man...but a woman is a woman for the rest of her life. Does this mean women are uncontrollably emotional and more unstable than a "boy"? This flippant disregard for christian sisters that listen to for today and follow mattie's facebook is an attitude that is becoming highly encouraged in modern churches. I won't begin to list the "Be a man" conferences and books that are coming out but I keep asking myself...what are these "men" doing to encourage and lift up their wives/daughters/sisters in the Lord? Are they focusing on the ministry that God has for them and think that God will not use their wives alongside them? Even giving their wives a platform for the kingdom? Men have been running the Christian show for a good while now and the inclination that I feel is that God is not ashamed to raise up His daughters to love and serve for the kingdom (in every way conceivable). Men don't be so focused on being a "godly man" that you dump on godly women...we all fall short of the glory of God and desperately need grace. Mattie proved it well with the statement that he chose to make. I am really hoping that the christian underground scene will stop being dominated by men and welcome women and respect the holy spirit given to them by Christ. We don't need another punk rock womens bible study...we need to move in the gifts and ministries God has called us to. I'll end this post with a scripture that is so prophetic to me right now

27[No] for God selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is foolish to put the wise to shame, and what the world calls weak to put the strong to shame.

28And God also selected (deliberately chose) what in the world is lowborn and insignificant and branded and treated with contempt, even the things that are nothing, that He might depose and bring to nothing the things that are,

29So that no mortal man should [have pretense for glorying and] boast in the presence of God."

1 Corinthians 1:27-29

I don't care who you use Lord but I pray that you would raise up servant leaders that love and labor for you and no one else. Amen.

Comments

  1. I loved this. It's so disheartening to constantly hear these types of examples used to encourage men to be more manly. I'm all for men being manly, but i'm tired of the idea that not being manly must mean you are womanly, and there's truly no greater shame than that! I think people have taken us being the 'weaker sex' and just completely ran off with it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for identifying with this Emery! I get the feeling that people may think I'm being touchy but it's an offensive approach that some take to make a point. And not offensive in a good way. It's funny because if we are "weaker" scripture is clear about those that are weak/oppressed/lowborn/insignificant we're not dumped on or spoken ill of by God...just the opposite! Seems some guys need to line up with Gods view of "weakness".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I don't believe in coincidences

Is it possible that life and death occur outside of God's hand? I know as long as I'm breathing my questions about life and living will never cease. But to let my unanswered questions of life cripple me to the point of not loving and "living" would be a tragedy. It's this thought that keeps me going...searching...for God's loving hand and precious face. I hate that I'm not consistent. That I can't drop everything and go on a quest like buddha did. I don't believe I could abandon my responsibilities to pursue spiritual knowledge. No offense buddha. I was pondering the other day what "reality" is. Is it our consciousness? Our physical being and how it relates to the world around us? Or our spiritual man that will one day depart from this physical world into...eternity? People put so much into what they believe is reality, the physical. "You must make providing for yourself and sustaining yourself the number one priority." I'm ...

Transitions transitions

Life feels like a balancing act of transitions and lulls. When you throw offspring into the mix the transitions come at a faster rate. Each milestone that passes feels like a weight off my shoulders only to be replaced by the oncoming milestones. My child/children have taken precedence over everything for me. I am confident in my identity as a woman and my personal goals/career. On the other hand I feel a deep sense of responsibility to make sure my offspring is given the opportunity to explore themselves and the world. I don't want them to fall into the rat race of life. The dreaded american dream. There is so much more life has to offer. When will they ever learn to be human...rather humane if their time is occupied by a way of living that simply preoccupies the mind? Depression kind of runs in my family. I've noticed living in a society that distracts us with consumerism, competition, "goals", etc. leaves those prone to depression feeling empty. We need spaces th...

constant contemplating

I have so much "mommy stuff" bouncing around in my head I don't know where to start. When I brought home my beautiful baby girl I was under the impression she would eat, sleep, and poop. Well she did eat...A LOT and often. And she definitely knocked out a good amount of diapers a day but the sleep part...not so much. She will be four months officially on monday and she still gets up at night every 2-4 hrs to eat and naps for 30min-1hr throughout the day. "Will I ever sleep through the night again?" is a question I ask myself once a week. She is growing so well and is pretty stinkin smart I have no cause for concern...other than my selfish desires. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should start introducing food, there is so much information out there when it comes to parenting crap that I don't even know whats right! Instead of getting stressed out I think I'll go with the flow and wait on my baby to determine a lot of these steps. For now the o...