So growing up I wasn't taught to "question" things. If I questioned people or ideas my dad would say I was being "rebellious" and probably prayed really hard for me in the wee hours of the morning.
I guess as parents our desire isn't to raise a monster that will think on it's own and question things. We want a little protege who will love and learn everything we do. Right? At least thats what I think happens when we become "parents" (which I still don't have a grasp on that concept).
Anyway I didn't learn to question people and ideas from being a rebellious teenager...actually I learned to conform as a teenager. After marrying a very intelligent white boy I observed his thinking and began to see thought progressions that didn't follow social norms and wasn't limited by traditions/ideas that were passed on from his parents. I saw the beginnings of questioning authority and loved that it wasn't out of anger or violence but rather out of the need to grow beyond what was already in place. Becoming more exposed to whatever you want to call them...white people/americans, I found myself moving in circles that saw the present state of say the church and questioned "Why are we ruled by tradition or politics in church? Shouldn't we be resisting this behaviour as a body of people?" and this way of thinking has taken me down roads I didn't even imagine existed.
So I'm saying I blame the white man for my way of thinking now lol. I'm starting to understand that in many instances we as a society want to create systems that fit everyone...or "one size fits all". Unfortunately this won't suffice because we may create systems that satisfy the majority but what about the small minority? Are they just casualties of the greater good? I've noticed that many large scale systems are flawed simply due to the fact that being so large one cannot sufficiently address small issues that arise and over time these seemingly small thorns that prick our sides become infected and can threaten our very life. Hospitals, churches, and schools are presently becoming very large systems in which people (like myself) tend to fall between the cracks and many times are never properly attended to. What starts as a small issue for instance, misinformation of some sort, becomes a large issue especially when that tidbit of misinformation dictates what decisions you will make for yourself not just in the short term but the long term.
I say all that to say that I've realized I can no longer allow the "norm" to dictate the decisions I will make for myself and my family. I've realized that a lot of norms we have are either unhealthy or just plain nonbeneficial. What I've come to confirm is that God and His Word point me in the direction that is the most beneficial and healthy for my mind body and spirit. Not to say that following Christ will make me rich, skinny, and sane but ultimately God will give me peace through whatever I go through if I just trust in Him. Christ was the ultimate example of questioning authority but He did it in such a way that if we follow Him we cannot justify being assholes simply for the sake of rocking the boat. Thats not what Christ was about. So I guess Christ was actually the man who showed me what it is to question things...sorry whiteys but I guess the credit doesn't go to you lol. Can I just state that I love white people? I don't want anyone to get the wrong message from my kidding around. Anyway these are my thoughts as of late. Much love! -Cel
I guess as parents our desire isn't to raise a monster that will think on it's own and question things. We want a little protege who will love and learn everything we do. Right? At least thats what I think happens when we become "parents" (which I still don't have a grasp on that concept).
Anyway I didn't learn to question people and ideas from being a rebellious teenager...actually I learned to conform as a teenager. After marrying a very intelligent white boy I observed his thinking and began to see thought progressions that didn't follow social norms and wasn't limited by traditions/ideas that were passed on from his parents. I saw the beginnings of questioning authority and loved that it wasn't out of anger or violence but rather out of the need to grow beyond what was already in place. Becoming more exposed to whatever you want to call them...white people/americans, I found myself moving in circles that saw the present state of say the church and questioned "Why are we ruled by tradition or politics in church? Shouldn't we be resisting this behaviour as a body of people?" and this way of thinking has taken me down roads I didn't even imagine existed.
So I'm saying I blame the white man for my way of thinking now lol. I'm starting to understand that in many instances we as a society want to create systems that fit everyone...or "one size fits all". Unfortunately this won't suffice because we may create systems that satisfy the majority but what about the small minority? Are they just casualties of the greater good? I've noticed that many large scale systems are flawed simply due to the fact that being so large one cannot sufficiently address small issues that arise and over time these seemingly small thorns that prick our sides become infected and can threaten our very life. Hospitals, churches, and schools are presently becoming very large systems in which people (like myself) tend to fall between the cracks and many times are never properly attended to. What starts as a small issue for instance, misinformation of some sort, becomes a large issue especially when that tidbit of misinformation dictates what decisions you will make for yourself not just in the short term but the long term.
I say all that to say that I've realized I can no longer allow the "norm" to dictate the decisions I will make for myself and my family. I've realized that a lot of norms we have are either unhealthy or just plain nonbeneficial. What I've come to confirm is that God and His Word point me in the direction that is the most beneficial and healthy for my mind body and spirit. Not to say that following Christ will make me rich, skinny, and sane but ultimately God will give me peace through whatever I go through if I just trust in Him. Christ was the ultimate example of questioning authority but He did it in such a way that if we follow Him we cannot justify being assholes simply for the sake of rocking the boat. Thats not what Christ was about. So I guess Christ was actually the man who showed me what it is to question things...sorry whiteys but I guess the credit doesn't go to you lol. Can I just state that I love white people? I don't want anyone to get the wrong message from my kidding around. Anyway these are my thoughts as of late. Much love! -Cel
Comments
Post a Comment