So my sociology class is awesome! Not the teacher really but the material is good stuff. It's opened my eyes to the possibilities in my future. I intended on becoming a nurse to become a supporter or advocate for midwifery but the more I'm looking into the role sociologists play the more I'm realizing that what I want to do is more sociological.
For instance I've just spent the last hour looking up medical journals about the effects of midwifery being removed from hospitals on western society. I'm SO intrigued by all the studies that have been done and are being done in this area of the medical field. I love the idea of studying the effects of hospitals influence on women in american society and the questions of "Is pregnancy pathology or just a risk of pathology? Should pregnant women be treated as patients during their labor or should they have more control?" etc etc.
For me the instinctual aspect of birth really drives me to want to study it further and to see what other women think about the unique experience of birth. Does a hospital environment and interventions hinder a womans instincts from guiding her through her labor? Can there ever be a middle ground where obstetrics and midwifery support one another? Due to capitalisms effect on hospitals agendas I have a hard time seeing the two working together. But one can dream! Anyway I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me and I am having a good time exploring it : D
For instance I've just spent the last hour looking up medical journals about the effects of midwifery being removed from hospitals on western society. I'm SO intrigued by all the studies that have been done and are being done in this area of the medical field. I love the idea of studying the effects of hospitals influence on women in american society and the questions of "Is pregnancy pathology or just a risk of pathology? Should pregnant women be treated as patients during their labor or should they have more control?" etc etc.
For me the instinctual aspect of birth really drives me to want to study it further and to see what other women think about the unique experience of birth. Does a hospital environment and interventions hinder a womans instincts from guiding her through her labor? Can there ever be a middle ground where obstetrics and midwifery support one another? Due to capitalisms effect on hospitals agendas I have a hard time seeing the two working together. But one can dream! Anyway I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me and I am having a good time exploring it : D
Comments
Post a Comment